An internship in a voluntary organisation in the South is a unique experience! You do not only implement and apply your acquired competences in a new (working) environment, you are also immersed in a new country and a new culture, which is an added value as well. Travelling and the contact with locals, other students and professionals will definitely be a personal enrichment.
Oye LENA offers:
A Belgian contact person and 24/7 assistance when present on the project.
- Reception upon arrival on the project,
- Guidance and support during the whole period of volunteering,
- An enriching and unique experience abroad within a safe framework,
- An opportunity to develop your professional skills,
- Immersion in a new language and culture,
- One hour of free Spanish daily (songs, sign language, vocabulary) and optional more Spanish lessons are possible (grammar and talking classes).
In a mutual agreement we set up your daily tasks:
- You give classes in the morning to kids with disability
- You give classes in the afternoon to little groups of toddlers
- You help with cleaning and keeping the project in order
- You help to prepare workshops for the parents
- You help prepare workshops for the schools in Curahuasi
- You give classes in the community schools near to Curahuasi once a week
- You visit monthly an orphanage and play games with the children
- You help to improve the core functioning of Oye LENA (developing didactic materials, elaborate themes or projects, …)
- You help outside (building, gardening, farming, …)
- You choose to take up a specific task (photography, translation, …)
- You help to prepare special events (Christmas, birthdays, …)
- You help to prepare and guide the monthly siblings day
You indicate which tasks you prefer on the application form.
Projects can create a powerful learning environment with various learning opportunities for students. Being active in the field will provide opportunities to use the following competences:
– acting methodologically,
– cooperating in a team,
– taking initiatives,
– taking your responsibility,
– solving problems,
– taking the lead.
Students go through the different stages of project management. The student, the university or college and the supervisor from the organisation decide together on the following:
– which objectives will be worked at,
– which steps have to be taken to prepare the project,
– how the project will be implemented on the ground,
– how many hours the students will be working on the ground,
– how the project is going to be evaluated (interim evaluation and final evaluation).
You can find your own accommodation in a hostel in Curahuasi or arrange everything through Oye LENA.
Volunteers who arrange their accommodation through Oye LENA can get a room at Casa Lena, 15 minutes from the centre of Curahuasi by foot. There are private rooms and shared rooms. A private room costs $ 12.5 per night, a shared room costs $ 9.5 per night per person. The bathroom, kitchen and living room are shared.
Take a look at casalenaperu.com for pictures of the building, rooms and surroundings!
The project takes place in the classrooms on the ground floor of the building.
If friends or family are coming to visit you, they can stay in a hotel in the village or in the Casa Lena B&B. The B&B has three rooms, each with a private bathroom and a shared kitchen and terrace. Volunteers and visitors can also ask Casa Lena for tours in Curahuasi and its surroundings (canyoning, puenting, river tubing, horseback riding and so on).
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Minimum age of 18 years old.
- Volunteers are active on the project for at least four full weeks. That way Oye LENA can create an optimal climate and a relation of trust with the children. Of course, volunteers have the right to take a holiday, and to stay longer in Curahuasi to make trips from there. Trips and days off are planned by mutual agreement.
- Volunteers should have a basic knowledge of Spanish before they arrive or follow a language course upon arrival (contact the organisation for more information).
Students do not receive any allowance for working on the project.
Airline tickets, vaccinations and travel insurance are at your own cost.
Students can use the materials that belong to the project.
Students can ask the person responsible for the project for a budget to realise their own projects. Whether or not the budget is allocated depends on several factors. However, the aim is always to minimise the costs.
Send us an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and receive our extensive information brochure!