Volunteering in an organisation in the South is a unique experience!
Travelling and the contact with locals, other students and travellers will definitely be a personal enrichment.
Oye LENA offers:
A Belgian contact person and 24/7 assistance when present on the project.
- Reception upon arrival on the project,
- Guidance and support during the whole period of volunteering,
- An enriching and unique experience abroad within a safe framework,
- An opportunity to develop your professional skills,
- Immersion in a new language and culture,
- One hour of free Spanish daily (songs, sign language, vocabulary) and optional more Spanish lessons are possible (grammar and talking classes).
In a mutual agreement we set up your daily tasks:
- You give classes in the morning to kids with disability
- You give classes in the afternoon to little groups of toddlers
- You help with cleaning and keeping the project in order
- You help to prepare workshops for the parents
- You help prepare workshops for the schools in Curahuasi
- You give classes in the community schools near to Curahuasi once a week
- You visit monthly an orphanage and play games with the children
- You help to improve the core functioning of Oye LENA (developing didactic materials, elaborate themes or projects, …)
- You help outside (building, gardening, farming, …)
- You choose to take up a specific task (photography, translation, …)
- You help to prepare special events (Christmas, birthdays, …)
- You help to prepare and guide the monthly siblings day
You indicate which tasks you prefer on the application form.
You can find your own accommodation in a hostel in Curahuasi or arrange everything through Oye LENA.
Volunteers who arrange their accommodation through Oye LENA can get a room at Casa Lena, 15 minutes from the centre of Curahuasi by foot. There are private rooms and shared rooms. The bathroom, kitchen and living room are shared.
Take a look at casalenaperu.com for pictures of the building, rooms and surroundings!
The project takes place in the classrooms on the ground floor of the building.
If friends or family are coming to visit you, they can stay in a hotel in the village or in the Casa Lena B&B. The B&B has three rooms, each with a private bathroom and a shared kitchen and terrace. Volunteers and visitors can also ask Casa Lena for tours in Curahuasi and its surroundings (canyoning, puenting, river tubing, horseback riding and so on).
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Minimum age of 18 years old.
- Volunteers are active on the project for at least 8 full weeks. That way Oye LENA can create an optimal climate and a relation of trust with the children. Of course, volunteers have the right to take a holiday, and to stay longer in Curahuasi to make trips from there. Trips and days off are planned by mutual agreement.
- Volunteers should have a basic knowledge of Spanish before they arrive or follow a language course upon arrival (contact the organisation for more information).
Volunteers do not have to pay to work on the project.
Airline tickets, vaccinations and travel insurance are at your own cost.
Send us an email (email@example.com) and receive our extensive information brochure!