Volunteering in an organisation in the South is a unique experience! Travelling and the contact with locals, other students and travellers will definitely be a personal enrichment.
In order to achieve our mission, Oye LENA asks for help from volunteers who are available for at least 8 weeks.
These volunteers have the following competencies:
- Experience in working and playing with children (experience in working with children with a disability is a plus);
- Professional experience in physical therapy, speech therapy, nursery or primary education, photography, …;
- A basic knowledge of Spanish.
In addition, volunteers carry the following values:
- Oneness & respect for other persons and cultures;
- A positive mentality and patience: make the impossible possible and never give up;
- Creativity & flexibility;
- A strong work ethic & a great eagerness to learn;
- Work as a member of the team.
In a mutual agreement we set up your daily tasks:
- You give classes in the morning to kids with disability;
- You give classes in the afternoon to little groups of toddlers;
- You help with cleaning and keeping the project in order;
- You help to prepare workshops for the parents;
- You help prepare workshops for the schools in Curahuasi;
- You give classes in the community schools near to Curahuasi once a week;
- You visit monthly an orphanage and play games with the children;
- You help to improve the core functioning of Oye LENA (developing didactic materials, elaborate themes or projects, …);
- You help outside (building, gardening, farming, …);
- You choose to take up a specific task (photography, translation, …);
- You help to prepare special events (Christmas, birthdays, …);
- You help to prepare and guide the monthly siblings day.
In exchange for your hard work, Oye LENA offers:
- A Belgian contact person and 24/7 assistance when present on the project;
- Reception upon arrival on the project;
- Guidance and support during the whole period of volunteering;
- An enriching and unique experience abroad within a safe framework;
- An opportunity to develop your professional skills,
- Immersion in a new language and culture;
- One hour of free Spanish daily (songs, sign language, vocabulary) and optional more Spanish lessons are possible (grammar and talking classes).
You can find your own accommodation in a hostel in Curahuasi or arrange everything through Oye LENA. Volunteers who arrange their accommodation through Oye LENA can get a room at the volunteerhouse of Casa Lena, 15 minutes from the centre of Curahuasi by foot. There are private rooms and shared rooms. The bathroom, kitchen and living room are shared. The project takes place in the classrooms on the ground floor of the building.
If friends or family are coming to visit you, they can stay in a hotel in the village or in the Casa Lena B&B. The B&B has three rooms, each with a private bathroom and a shared kitchen and terrace. Volunteers and visitors can also ask Casa Lena for tours in Curahuasi and its surroundings (canyoning, puenting, river tubing, horseback riding and so on).
Take a look at casalenaperu.com for pictures of the building, rooms and surroundings!
Terms and conditions
- Minimum age of 18 years old.
- Volunteers are active on the project for at least 8 full weeks. That way Oye LENA can create an optimal climate and a relation of trust with the children. Of course, volunteers have the right to take a holiday, and to stay longer in Curahuasi to make trips from there. Trips and days off are planned by mutual agreement.
- Volunteers should have a basic knowledge of Spanish before they arrive or follow a language course upon arrival (contact the organisation for more information).
Do you want to know more about volunteering at Oye LENA?
Send us an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and receive our extensive information brochure!