Education for everyone (around the world)?
- 187 million children do not have access to nursery education.
- 101 million children do not have access to primary education.
- Most of them are girls.
Equal opportunites for girls (around the world)?
- The risk of malnutrition before a child is five years old is three times higher in girls than in boys.
- One in three girls do not finish primary school in the poorest countries. This is because girls spend eight times as much time on domestic chores.
- 25,000 girls are married every day and cannot go to school because of it.
- Pregnancy is the main cause of death in girls aged between 15 and 19.
Source: Plan België
The state of education (in Peru)?
- In cities, we see that 2.4% of men are illiterate. For women, the figure is 7.9%.
- In rural areas, the figures are even higher: 10.9% of men and 34.8% of women are illiterate.
- On the list of the level of the students, Peru ranks 63 out of 65 countries.
Source: Instituto National de estadística informática, Peru
Health situation (in Peru)?
- 5% of children in Peru under the age of 5 are underweight. In the Apurimac region, 7.7% are underweight.
- 36% of the toddlers in Peru have dwarf growth due to poor nutrition. In Apurimac, this is 56%.
- In Peru, there are only 9 doctors per 10,000 inhabitants. In the Apurimac region, there are only 3. In Belgium, however, there are 30 doctors per 10,000 inhabitants!
Source: WHO Global Database on Child Growth and Malnutrition
Source: World Factbook CIA